THE 7th.


A poem written after contemplating

'The swimming hole' by Thomas Eakins

by Sattis Factionne




Here it is

the pinnacle

viewed by the 7th

this portrait of unintentional sensuality

this innocent canvas

my eyes are drawn to 1884

my eyes are drawn to the stance of pride

Eakins the neglected real-life dreamer

the realist from Philadelphia

the 6th, as I understand it

but which is he?

The diver?

The recliner?

The bather?

Here is the 7th

looking towards them

more real than any realist could ever accomplish

wanting to join them

exchanging splashes and smiles and sunbeams

blinking at their pagan splendour

It could go on foreverthis refused commission

These gentlemen are older now than I shall ever be

these gentlemen are older now than even their creator (eternally 71)

Forever caught naked

forever caught holier and prouder than even Zeus and Ganymede

and I, the 7th, the viewer.

How will I be portrayed?

me in my jeans, my jacket, my white and tight underwear

Cold within the walls of this city's winter

unable to strip naked and swim with my heroes-The pagan six

may as well just move onto Grant

then Hockney

then Rodriguez

then walk out of here, hands in pockets and blinking in the sunlight.

Comments

  1. Very cool concept - executed very well.

    "my eyes are drawn to 1884, my eyes are drawn to the stance of pride" - great lines, but so many great lines here.

    Good job! I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?