Just One Pair


Your underpants are on the line
though you have gone into a different state
I've noticed this summer hasn't been too bad-
Weather and mood wise
The clouds are stopping the winter's mosses
from drying out and the
frequent rains are helping the butterflies,
moths and grasshoppers breed like
nothing I have seen since 1984
I have forgotten how the spikes of grass seed
itch once embedded in socks
and how the flies swarm before and after the warm rains

but never during

and your underpants are on the line
just one pair
immersed with and next to mine
though I know they are yours
they have a sad heaviness to them
like your hand when wrapped in mine
I only wear them when I have to as they
are a little too big
and they have your sad aura in their elastic
which overcomes me when ever I wear them
They are a great metaphor for you
ageing, faded and unsupportive
I think I would like to throw them out
but I know I like using them on odd occasions
Like I like phoning you late at night
every once in a while
I've never mentioned to you that I have them
for fear of you wanting them returned
or some other silly reason
and then what would I have?
the mossy rocks of winter
and the insects of summer
this gloriously cool summer
with its softly blowing winds
that push your underwear towards me
as they hang upon the line

Comments

  1. This is quite good in my opinion:

    They are a great metaphor for you
    ageing, faded and unsupportive

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?