Future Pens



I lie awake in the dullest bed of our time
Outside you are making the myths and legends
For great poets and historians to document
So as you, my lover, are remembered forever
You walk the back streets in fine handmade suits
Beating, fighting, maybe killing
Those who won’t be missed
For the coins in their pockets
And leaving poems ripped from books you have stolen
In the bands of their hats or tucked in their belts
You leave Byron, Shelly, Homer and Keats
Never Wordsworth, you say he has not the substance
To be left atop a corpse
You steal the books of poetry for me
From great houses along elm lined lanes
All leather bound, finely printed on magnificent paper
And at dawn you enter, what you call, the dullest room of our time
And we make the love that keeps our hearts beating
And the neighbors complaining through the walls to morning
When you sleep
I study your face for new signs of aging
I dread the day I see you in a hospital bed
An asylum, yelling poetry, stabbing yourself with blunt fingernails
A beautiful swansong for a dying era
The final chapter for our love
Nay your life
In the books and poems written by the future pens

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?