The Weeds of Babylon


Scented necks and collars on Babylon’s main street
With the Buskers by the church and the whores in the cafes
School kids kissing under bridges
Maurice and I were the weeds in the hanging garden
History is for exhale, future for the inhale
Tight jeans and thinning hair
Holding hands in the cinema
You drink bourbon I drink beer
We are the weeds of Babylon
Orchids, honey suckle, grape vines and ivy
Ponds and rivers and fountains and falls
This city is an Eden without higher judgment
And we were the weeds in the hanging garden
The band in the restaurant are playing our song
The man on the radio is singing it wrong
The presents under the tree are covered in mould
Babylon real estate can be bought but never sold
If you knew I was going to leave
Then why didn’t you stop me?
And yes its many years gone now
But I want to know
My liberation would have meant nothing
If you had of stopped me
If you had of kept me in Babylon
Amongst the Slugs and the Snails
We two weeds
We two boys
Amongst those hanging gardens of Babylon
Snug in your Spanish speaking warmth
And now I don’t know if you are still there
Amongst the whores in the cafes
Weaving your way through the buskers near the church
Pruning and clipping and thinning every day
Just to feel the sun on your scented shoulders
In Babylon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?