Like a cut on the verge of healing

Like a cut on the verge of healing
Still throbbing and still stinging
Still bleeding at the slightest of knocks
The precursor for the scar, on the index
This is age, always, you wait for it
You can feel it throbbing against your head
Like a shovel throwing dust
It stings like vinegar on the back of a raw throat
Stings like abuse from a family member
It is the precursor for your mark, you have to make it.

Your friends I thought were fools
Poor sports and grossly unattractive
But then I hadn’t met them all
You seemed lovely though
I wanted you to be my  boyfriend
But you said no
So I said to my self I would stop lying
And then you said yes
And I too said no
I didn’t think you thought much of me
You were pretty and funny and older
So I gave you a nickname
Which I think you liked
You then said one of my favorite Beatles songs
Was like a Rod Stewart cover
You only really gave me the time of day
When we grew a little older
and then I don’t remember meeting you again
but I must of...
Did you always have your short beard?
Your laugh was never infectious
It was always comforting though
I remember sleeping on a roof with you
An epileptic should not sleep on roofs
But it is a night I will never forget
The dawn was pink
But I don't think we cared

Like a cut on the verge of healing
A natural remedy for love and age
But is this the end?
Being caught in a trap and thrown in a bag
Sold in a cage and bought for a pet?
The agony of the question 
It is like a cut 
And I don't think that it will heal
Instead i will scratch at it 
And it will fester and go rotten
And the only scar that will remain 
Will be on my my dreams 

Everything is up side down
Everything has turned to the west

You infuriated me on so many occasions
But mostly I was glad I found you
I knew we were historical
I knew that we missed our chance


There was a big Red Suitcase
There were two ceramic goblets
There was an oriental fan
There was chalk on the walls
There was Belle and Sebastian
There were Milkshakes
There were postcards and correspondence
There were mix tapes
There was love

Comments

  1. "Like a cut on the verge of healing"--You come up with the greatest metaphors; I love your stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?