ALAN BENNETT


Sort yourself out Alan Bennett
You lack swagger and stride and hold raincoat in hand
You are the documenter of a filthy age
Not one that holds the reflection of a revolution on the Thames
You may quiver and shiver and fray at your prey Alan Bennett
But do you think we remember you, or your words?
You are the keeper of a secret rage
Not one that holds sanction in glorious Catholic churches
You are not confused for David Hockney as often as you think Alan Bennett
His opinions are not national treasures
You are the one who murders the fly on the page
Not one who thinks of the death as your own

Alan Bennett, I’ve never been to the queen’s country
I’ve never seen the river polluted by a thousand ghosts
Never seen your poets buried in fourteen rows
Never had my bruises healed by the kiss of a Molly
Alan Bennett, What exactly is a history boy?
Am I one?
Are you one?
Is Hector the last?

I wonder if the first draft of his thought kisses your bruises…

Alan Bennett do you wake in the middle of the night? Do you slam your eyes open like the oceans slam against one another, do your thoughts get caught up in one another like harmonies, like voices, like the sounds that make a choir, enough to make you cry? Sorrow, Alan Bennett, is the night’s most bitter pill.

No, I have never been to the Queen’s country
But, one day, I may
And I might see you
Or I might see your play

And what if I was to meet you Alan Bennett? What then?
Well I would shake your hand
Hug you if I could
For you are a knight, a soldier, an Ossie
And you inspire…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?