boat


My chin rests over the side
I can run my hands through the water but I can’t touch you
Green to purple nighttime breaks and it burns
Visions jump from the boat into gold-fringed water
You lay on your back telling me

‘The word boat is merely a self-portrait,
The b and the t are the ends
While the two vowels make up the side
…Boat…’

My eyes focus sharply in the dark
You, shore, the space around Orion’s belt
Heavy spider legged fingers I take and run through
Garlands of hair curled by the wind

My thoughts are on archways of limestone
Over a path that leads to an orchard
A tree splashed dark by a lover I once had
And spring grasses high past spying heads

I stroke the ridge of a watery roof, ripple by ripple
To arch over and discover a chest browned and beating
A lifetime collection of full moons within your eyes
And that which is common but always wanted, for me to hold

I will stay here with chin over side- hand in my hearts tomb
Looking out at the colours and myths of Caravaggio
And I will merely make fantasies of you, my friend and teacher
The sailor who is the poet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?