Your Cheeks Ablush




I thought when you came in you looked like some disgraced charioteer
A strange image but with an imagination like mine you got off light
Your hair was ruffled, your cheeks ablush
You knew I was staring at you like the public would a disgraced charioteer
Back in old time Rome… back in antiquity
Don’t you love that word? Antiquity?
It was the very reason I went to University
That was where I met Kitty and Charles
And slept with a Polish man whose name I can’t remember
That was where I learnt of charioteers
And disgrace, my own and others, in the present and past
And now here you are looking disgraced
Like a Disgraced Roman Charioteer
Perhaps one who has very lately been caught mid coitus
With a servant boy
Or slowly pleasuring yourself beneath your toga
When you should have been dealing with, other, statelier matters
Either way you are coming in now looking very guilty,
Very disgraced and very blushed
Yet, I see in you, still, some ancient nobility
A pleasant regality
And the blush across your cheeks only enforces it
So raise your eyes
Lift your chin
Pay no heed to rumour and gossip
I studied antiquity and all the great men of history
Each one was fond of disgrace and chariots
You’ll conquer what you have to
And perhaps in time this disgrace will become your own special page in antiquity
One for future students to study
And then leave for cigarettes, ale and Polish men

(the painting is by Felix Deon, A very cool Artist whose page is at www.felixdeon.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?