WIde Eyed And Grip Tight



I awoke pupils wide and grip tight
Enough words on my mind
Central to the vision of fantasy’s reach
You, me, crevice and down
This is the belief in the poet’s morning fiction
Can love’s curve sharpen to a point?
Draw tight and tingle at the touch?
What are you God of?
Who leaves you white salutations at the coming of the day?
With blank paper muscles fleeced with hair
Can I believe in you?
I awoke tangled up in landscapes of darkness
Pulled apart and ready to devour
Tasted with the tongue of youth
And flesh grabbed at with fingers of pleasure
Pupils wide and grip tight
I heard a music
A music of distant confusion
Not terrifying, no, though it was unsettling
As though someone had finally sharpened love’s curve
And surrendering what we had fought for
To the ocean’s gravely floor
Where no poet can offer a compassionate funeral
For the idea of you, me, crevice and down
So I awoke
Here in a room with a window and watercolour
My pupils wide, my grip tight
The taste of salt upon my lips
And I thought of you, the idea of love’s curve
What a curse it is to know of these things!
And yet, I still dwell in the shadow
Hunting down that stag
Forever hearing the echo of its hooves
Run across the ocean’s gravely edge
Forever, wide eyed and grip tight

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?