Olive Leaf Eyes


Dark are the changes that break with each sleepy blink
Over eyes the colour of the Olive tree leaves that are curling in drought
We could stop the light from filtering in and the resemblance would leave us
The sturdy courage that night brings would wrap itself around us
I hear the music from below the cliff, I hear if from below the fall
strange brightness it brings to me like a house fire upon the hill
and for the sake of the tired I will end my musings, that which I ponder
although the new chapter has not yet begun
O! why should the great resemblance be commented on?
Why should your grey green olive leaf eyes be closed to the night?
This cigarette burns itself while these spirits burn my thoughts
I saw one grandfather, dead, in my dreams
I saw another, dead, in his coffin
Looking vulnerable with his final surrender
Am I simple? Am I agreeable? I would like to think that all I need is night's courage
I am lost in the valleys of a jacket and shirt
Falling deeper while feeling the sand rise up and hit my face
And the boy lying next to me can sleep with sand on his lips
Pillars of Wisdom beneath his pillow and curious questions on his mind
Crash helmets save live because of Lawrence, don't they?
Forster Loved him, ever so dearly, didn't he?
And in the palm of my hand I see several splinters of interest
Each needing to be dug out before they sink in deeper and poison my blood
I have no artificial belief in any author, or any poet
I merely shun those who call for the symbolism to be painted upon hospital walls
We met before this night in a cafe bathroom
Both of us young and vandalising a wall with prayers
We then made love at the foot of Cyrus the Great
Watched by a guard with cock in hand
But love is for the curious, and really you must find out for yourself
I opened this bottle of spirits and now I know the extent of things
So the splinters dig themselves in a little further
And I sink into sleep- this is just the way it goes



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?