A Question For The Daytime


The light grazes the skin on your shoulder
The sailors are running in from their burning boats
I think of when I met you, nearly ten years ago now
You haven't changed much your face just looks a little more confused
At a world that looks a little more empty
You tell me its a crime to be a child who was born in summer
Yet who always pulls his collar up toward the street
Beneath the trees bare of the leaves in a world just before the daffodils
Never mind that now, we need a bar my blue eyed boy
I wonder what blood courses through your body to make you such a lover
I wonder where you are from, where you exist
You would make a terrible sailor, you never learnt to swim
Though you know how to handle yourself in a crises
I told you my father was a poor man, the product of the ghetto
I told you my mother was a heroine, she has her own statue in a foreign square
You told me your parents came from Istanbul
They were undertakers who maintained the secrets of the egyptians
I asked them when you last saw them
You told me that that was a question for the daytime
And now as the stars sink a little lower and we start to grow a little sober
We think about getting some beer, stale or otherwise
Fortune shall lead the way, you and I, we shall be shown down the turns
Through the rain and through the falling leafs
You and I as children we would not have been too dissimilar
You with your blue eyes
Taken from one of Alexander's soldiers
Mine with my grey
Taken from the french aristocracy
And as we walk the light it sparks off your eyes
Like a firecracker shining through the night
I wonder what worlds exist in your mind
If you would ever allow anyone to have a look
If you would describe them to someone while they fall asleep
In the language of your home, in soft, grave whispers
Do you walk alone at night while I am asleep?
Do you walk scraping your fingers along the brick walls?
Wondering if you descend from the kings
Why hasn't anyone noticed your face for what it is?
Noble, royal, beautiful, One on which the light attaches itself to
One that does not grow old
I have noticed my love and tonight as we enter this bar
As the light grazes your skin
I know you are the bravest of men
The most beautiful of men
And one day we shall sail out of here
And I shall show you were the Calypso grows
And you shall show me your homeland
Where we can be the seasonal nobles
With each other at our sides




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?