The Rights Of Pride



Can you see the fallen statues staring grim, unsure and steady of mind?
They seem to have no expectations of the future
Only disappointments in the music that we speak to them
The poetry that we write for the photographs, the heads
In uniformed sternness 
They look with architected melody and as we turn our backs they bow in frame to cry
We are not what they wanted for sons, for daughters
And we are the grisaille walking with our blood slowly dying
In secret hoping to enfranchise the adventurers, the soldiers the leaders of our past
Instead we sneak over to one another’s embrace and kiss the peach-like cheeks that it is so easy to get lost in
Regrets cast out to sea like Mary Hamilton’s babe, in a boat made from reeds, inheritances and hand me downs
And we grasp the kopis as we know our father’s did wondering if love will forever keep our minds in trouble
But I shall ever stroke your hair with fingers that my mother says were her fathers
And I shall always look at you with eyes that were once my grandmothers
And with lips that were once my fathers I will smile at you and kiss you as you do the same
And when I am alone to slowly undress my thoughts
I will look up at my great, great grandfather and only then will I feel a sense of curved and crumbling failure
What must he think of me?
Could I match him in his stealth?
Maybe then I would have reason for the strength of this inherited pride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?