Promises


Will you promise me that every time you see a river in flood you will think of me?
Will you promise me that every time a light bulb burns out you will think of waking up in an empty bed?
Every time the music is a little too loud you will think of our moods in the autumn?
And when you try to name the constellations through dusty binoculars you will think of feigned suprise?
And if the mocking birds are all dead
Then what shall we kill?
And if everyone is on the road 
Then why are we resting?
Caught between youth and old age, wishing on rusted aeroplanes in the distance
We thought they were shooting stars
Who knew they were crashing
So beautiful, so beautiful as they plummet in to land
You clap your hands against your chest as you judge the happiness
I think about the miracles as they come to hand, I'm not dead yet
I can remember how to sing, and to mock
Maybe we should steal some bread, or better yet a coat
We might find a map in the pocket, find our way to a church
Something to think about, try to find our souls between the walls and the windows
And our reputations will precede us but our self worth comes last
So we hug in tight for warmth and get strapped in for safety
But everything we try to believe gets washed away to Europe
And oh we could write a book about Europe
Something about a library full of damp books on fire
And in Europe they have no insect fire brigades
So the maps all burn
And I dreamt you were robbing a museum
You left all the valuables and stole the papyrus
Keeping it hidden in a parcel
Between a can of sardines and a book about Burns' life
Scottish poetry and fish and ancient texts
You wouldn't share any of your knowledge or food
Well- good luck to you
I hope you choke on a sardine's fin
While I walk out looking for a nice coat to steal
So I can sit beside a river and try to think of the last bridge I saw that I actually wanted to cross
We have too many axe fights
And I am bored with your glue-sniffing neighbours
Your erection no longer reminds me of Princess Grace in the nursing home
And all possibilities are pointing me in the direction of Cork
Is there a chance that you actually do love me?
Or am I now breaking the rules that you have written in the margins of that Hemingway book that your father gave you?
Your father was a sinner, a cynic, and I always knew it was him who would molest me at Christmas
Your mother told me once to lock my bedroom door
I thought she was merely protecting me from herself
Your old ma, she claimed she came from aristocratic stock
Yet she looked as though she came from a swamp
But you built your world around them didn't you?
And now when ever you see a basket full of dirty carrots and freshly slaughtered chickens
I know you think of them
And I think of misery
So I leave the room and curse Hemingway
Curses, I know a few
So tell me that when you see a burning aeroplane you will think of us resting on the side of the road
And tell me when you dream of orchestras playing at funerals you will think of the first time I gave you head
When you drink vodka with aristocratic swamp people will you remember the time we stole your mother's coat?
Found a map in the pocket 
And we ran and we ran
And we fell in love
Breaking all the rules that you had written in the margins of Hemingway
And we found ourselves in a time of illness
In love
Singing Rebel songs that were written in Cork
Yes... I am happy to be your smiling, whistling, idiot.

Comments

  1. This is a really cool poem; I enjoyed reading it. The photo of ol' Ernest adds to the impact. "I'll be back."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?