The Son Of St. Peter



Alone on the sill
Thinking of St. Peter and the greatest book ever written
When I look at the maker will he take me in his arms
I can see the smoke from the factory fire that still burns
Below me there is a man who walks the street
He once told me of an underground cafe
Whose publican kept a pet boy and a pet fox
He cleans the well every morning, he has only fallen in once
floating there for three days before anyone found him
No one could drink the filthy water for a week
He was the cleanest he had ever been
And across the city, The autumn colour has begun to fall
With puddles along roads that smell of shoe polish
I light a cigarette with the cold fingers
My mothers fingers, fingers that have drawn shapes in the sands of the past
And the crows avoid the home sick pigeons
While inside my lungs the dust of a roman empire settles
I am finally alone on the sill
This vast bookshelf to look out from
Holding my leg up I see the calm street
But the minds of the maids are all made up
And I can see somewhere that a well muscled lad has had his way
But no where can I see a place for a child of St. Peter
Somewhere along the shore by my home town
perhaps is a cafe where he can sit
But he will never really belong and he reads the greatest book ever written
By a man who always meant well
But he drank too much wine
Even on his hospital bed
In which he could see great canyons and valleys within the sheets
He wondered which Historic figure he would meet on the rocky paths
And if the trees and blackberries had grown over his way
What would he find?
Past the factory's smoke
I can see the light house
That wicked little light house
That warns people of the cliffs, carved smooth and beautiful
Like the arms of a young fisherman
But then once past the cliffs the ships come in
And no one warns them
Of the child of St. Peter
Who sits on his window sill
Staring out, immortal with his words
Avoided by all the crows and the pigeons
Loved by the well cleaner
Who tells the story of the publican who kept the pet boy and pet fox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?