Hills On Fire

lying in bed
your outburst is the autumn that grows from the mountain
a brave exit from the only thing you will ever know
and with each folly
must come a new introduction into a world
full of shale and maple leaves
pockets full of birds that fly out to find warmth
in the contours and crevices of sleeping foxes
and all the skeletons that have been found will never burn
like sunshine they are invincible
to all but darkness
and music has not been played here for such a length of time
since statues fell
and vines grew over carved family tree
Your eyes are those of your mothers
and your hands are those of Minerva's
some weeks we find we have walked in circles
and the path has worn itself down
other weeks we find ourselves at the ocean
dandelions trying to grow in the sand
and seagulls organising their new calls into song
I am ready for the new heat
ready for the flame to burn itself across the brass
and when the beast tricks me or tames me
I will gamble all i possess on the old creatures
coming to take it and scream to it the myths
while it is chained to the half eaten summer
Dearest muses I sense you have struggled since the collapse of the cave
Since the breakers took your sister
I wonder what the weather will be like once the soil turns to granite
when the water turns to steam
I sit and I listen to the thud of the blanket and I wonder who will build the cairn
Who can guide us to the snow and the lava
Lemnos is there for you to find
Where the women need company
And someone to sharpen their knives
I am here for you to find
with a mountain that must be seen by more than just I
and foot hills on fire

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?