What You Hear And What You Know


If you were driving your mother's car
Driving I don’t know where
But driving far
Would you be regretting anything?
Not knowing constellations
Just knowing the evening star
Hearing your thoughts dance
Like the benders in the bars
Hearing the tires turn
Taking you to new thresholds to pass
But you are here for good
Even though you don’t know where you are
And when you awake at night
Panic like wind beating at your wall
You know its time to quit
Like the flinch before a punch that’s hard
And the kicks were fun
The fun couldn’t last
But it’s the victory that makes you believe
And the loss of memory is your defeat
A choking laugh in the corner of your mind
That you never tried to beat
And the further you drive
The further you get
With the window down
Watching the finches fly
Peter Paul and Mary spilling from your tongue
But Mary has died
And the contingent has gone
The generation lied
They just left us their cars
Like your mother
And you are gonna go far
In the sound of the wheel
It’s your minor Hejira, tattered but glorious
A horse fresh from the frost
And the prayers are heard for you
For the first time
Although you will never know this 

Comments

  1. Another really engaging poem that has me saying "yeah, I know what you mean, life is like that." What are you doing to get more readers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your encouraging and inspiring comments, any sort of feedback means a lot to me as a poet, but for it to be positive and from a stranger on the other side of the world makes it especially special.
      As for more readers... I am not doing much. I am just writing away, doing what I do best I guess. I have sent a few things to a few different publishers whom I thought would be sympathetic to the gay-vein but they weren't too interested. This doesn't worry me too much as I am happy to keep doing what I am doing and keep on working on my 'minor Hejira, tattered but glorious'.
      Thanks again, and keep on reading.
      cheers.
      TIMOTHY

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?