Cut The Wire


Silent songs for the broken men
Christmas tins, empty and collected
All the gold in the teeth of animals
Only I was able to cut the wire
Marriages of mercy, five for the dollar
Arguments all angry, written as an epitaph
Fading into the silence I heard you walk away
Problems for the future children
Problems to be swept by the beach wind
I can hear the chained ghosts in your basement
I can hear you have your lawyers in tow
All the directions have changed for the day
The invited boys will change their minds
Drinking scotch with stained ice cubes
All nights will begin with questions
All nights will begin with the sleeping awoken
On your palms I read of a murder
In your eyes I read of a day spent in the library
I could have ignored the buzzing in my ears
Though I took it as a message for my sleeping self
Wipe away the stains on your shelf
Forge your way through the water that hits everything
And admit that everyone was telling the truth
As you wade waist deep through the concrete
Sinking deeper as the mud cakes around your smile
If only the compass wasn't stolen by the teacher
If only the monster hadn't of chewed your foot
As it dangled from your bed
Like the whore that chewed your heart
As it dangled from your pants
And all the flies gathered around her blush
All the soldiers kept warm around the cigarette lighter
As the plane flew over releasing vultures
Clouds soaked the cliffs
And the cone on the mountain released a waterfall of lava
New sand was thrown into the air
Like confetti at the wedding we should have had
One of the mercy ones, five for a dollar
I couldn't have cared about the ripped collar
It was the tattered ocean that caught my eye
So much transferred froth, so much insomnia
All the memories of the doctors keeping you alone
All your plans being eaten by the lava
So the days gnaw on your portraits
The nights show that you can hold your scotch
You still can't prove that you understand
So keep on mumbling
Try and hum the songs
All the noise in the world makes your ears buzz
A message for the dead while you sleep
A waste of time, but keep on trying
Hold out your hand and take the mountain
Nobody counts on you


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?