The New Law


there is a new law on the street
everything is stalled
should i listen to the violated voice?
i want to be touched by the brush of madness
i want to have a close call
there is a buzzing in my ears
like the groan of the toad
the night is all music
time is all mechanics
magpies swoop and steal pens from poets
i want to know who set the book aflame
against the wall i stand
punching and kissing words of men
reading letters from an english boy in berlin
he tells me of a time that is coming
he has seen his kind
in a broken mirror found in a cellar
vanity cares for the cure and disease
on the hand is a scar, the same place as mine
following the brightness in your head
to a shadow in the dark where light melts
dress warm its going to get cold
and bring a rock we have to break glass
do you wonder like i do about the dose?
about what brought on the misery?
handy to know how to bring into houses
and I know how it is to be kicked out of line
so all the kingdom's boys followed you into the current
where pink-finned fish reflect the sun
thousands of shoes washed up on shore
like elm leaves in autumn, glossy and yellow
teaching us all a lesson
salvation jane it blossoms but it doesn't feed the horses
the men told us life was wonderful
while they stared out windows waiting for their nurses
i just waited for the answer
to a statement I had written as a child
there was a comment on the wall
that made me think of summer's grass
the strength of the water pulled down the walls
and i fell asleep
as my feet stirred the mud and sand
light was tangled in the water
but there was no presence
only flowers rolling over rapids
to be caught within the reeds
again i looked at the sky that i gave away
the land that was no longer mine
a blue that was brushed with the colour of outside
and magpies swooped and stole my pen
all my teeth were bared as the clouds fell
i suffered what my bones should have endured
but your voice and the camellias
they made me think of home and the new law








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?