What Can We Call England?


Where are you living now?
What shadow? what crooked street?
Are you still reading books on how to be bold?
Books on how to find the crazy kind?
You bought the medicine but you couldn't swallow it
The breeze found your hair but left it in place
I never knew why it was so hard for you
Never knew why it was a jungle in your head
There is dust amongst the reflections
You know where it is warm, know where it is nicest
The neighbour hears you cry in your sleep
But its mixed with gasps of laughter
Swallowing air, at least it comes free
Where will you go when the dizzy spells come?
The numbness will lead the way
Like a composting apartment building
Like a two track mind quoting the bible
We passed on the stairwell
I saw your back in the glass of the window
And who's arm are you sweetly sucking on now
What philosophy have you created, named and buried?
Did I tell you I wrote graffiti on a bus
Outlining our story, outlining our truth
I only left out the time you stole what was important
I left out the time I told you I believed I was controlled
By the studio audience, by that neon applause
I followed the recipes that you left tacked to the wall
Covered in glue and plastered in fake surrender
And at night when I hear the looping train
I roll over and pretend I am on the racing track
Stylish, fast and stripped of my trophy
I am the fastest man in England
If you can still call it that, I don't speak like you do
We talk of the same things though
Overturning cars and buying houses in scotland
Eating the real sons of the soil
Digging holes in the skin of the sun
What shadow do you exist in now?
What crooked street?
What new age book?
I will try and look for you in the newspaper
And wipe away the dust from the glass

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?