The Rooster And His Family


The light fades
But then someone else's light will be peaking
And a train crash was right on time
Leaving was different this time
The tallest building in town has difficulty capturing attention
There are no birds to roost on the sills
Concrete stones rest down by the elevator
Aboriginals walk past with smiles and suits
What is the matter at hand, what are we stopping at?
The date is someone famous's birthday
We light a fire and listen to the rain over the bridge
I know there is no money for travel this year
Travel up and through the distortion, with the little birds
It's been twenty years since Rwanda, one since the end
I decided to kick at the announcement
Decided to sit upon the large square ashtray
The last monument of the city's centre
Back to Back, looking up, looking across
Cigarettes, on our favourite solitary horizon
The court house, alone, walking to the botanic garden
Fences to burn, to jump, to build
Drive while sleeping, hear music, invisible
I can't return and I won't taste those years
I can see the melting roads turn into new shapes
Shadows are hard to remember
The music of the Go-Betweens I will keep
They where never owned exclusive
There are so many people against the words and wind
I love the ones who sleep in their car against the fishing rod
The others I can not remember terrible or well
I knelt at the feet of the statue of Yeats
And was placed in a dream of a bird who watched me alone
Goodbye, Cockatoo, watch for the grain
Watch for the neurosis psychosis
The Rooster and his family



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?