Meet Me On The Second Night Of The War Of The Gods



Only the King with his crown on the floor should be reading this
For he is the only one who will understand

Visions of the day that introductions took place
After the nudge over silicon and wire
Bright spots appear, there is no recollection

Have you since been stolen by another melody?
Sung by someone wrapped in velvet, casting long shadow
I remember your shadow, dark like your Chilean eyes
I would happily follow it through what is left of these days

Celebratory dinners of fried chicken- romantic no?
Trapped in the wardrobe, with only another boy for comfort
Half way up stairwells, trousers down, cocks out
 My god, boy, you were always my king
Do you know this?

Films that caused hysteria, on darkened couches, under softened blankets
Massaged muscles, I like to think that there were times that I made you feel good
But there are different words for the same feelings, the same emotions
I can never forget your eyes, I wonder, are mine as important?

Frustrating moods that cause false alarms
All you need to know is that I loved you

Please don’t burn the memory you have of me
Don’t wash away the thoughts of me
I know that with age I will fade away from you
But remember that I once I loved you

Shared hotel suite
With condoms on the floor
A window with white lace curtains
Free, but together
Laksa and pizza
The world of possibility
You were never alone
Never unprotected
I was unemployed
Smoking outside
You lived so far away
And the mattress was so hard
Peppermint creams
Dynamite and weddings
Black and Gold
Oh, your laugh
Renting a red car
And driving it to the sea
Stopping halfway for a smoke
And seeing the moon
Such a big house
You wouldn’t swim
You thought I was mad
We dragged the mattress up to the top floor

Staring directly at the sun
There was no golden age for the two of us
The governing wheel was the weight on our shoulder
Atlas opened his arms for us and sighed

I believed in the suburban desolation
I believed in being hit by the jumbo jet of your glance
God was in the room when we were on the stairs
And the angels were out with me smoking cigarettes
Decisions were scrounged up from the street
Collars were pulled up and now I’m the complete unknown
You know, you were always so silent
And I had to get used to it
Like you had to get used to my jive-arsed stupidity
But you just had to ask me to stay, to say that you loved me
But you know I got no direction back to those stairs
And god has learnt, somehow, to fly
And the velvet foxes are caught in the cotton traps
And now you have all of those clothes
Those stores, I glanced in once to see if you were there
But all I saw were girls from television commercials
And men from the brothel scandals- I read one of them died
Like the white whale after it learnt about love
And you know that you are the king?
But pick me up out of the dirt when you see me will you?
‘Cause I’m nervous and frayed and emotionally violent
I can’t even imagine who will read this
Will and Grace?
After all the blinds are down and the peppermint medicine administered
Wait… Are you listening?
After the medicine is administered will we all fall apart
Again?
The army won’t line the street for us any more
I have a picture of a bellflower and I need to learn to fly
I could paint your portrait and call it ‘Regret’
It’s an impossible situation, I feel like one of those folk singers
One of those old ladies of the canyon, writing songs about days of false alarms and warmth
And where the fuck are they now?

I don’t know what to say anymore
I don’t know what to write, where are you now and how are you?
I don’t want this to be a requiem nor a boast of our love

Let’s pretend it was nothing for you
Or let’s pretend it was something impossibly grand
Do you wish it never occurred?
Or do you wish I were there with you now?

I want to be the real thing for you
I want to be the fool that you forgive
I want to see the country of your heritage
To see that shiny South American kingdom
With its rust spots and silver mines

Oh, it induces anger and induces pain
It gives my headaches and head spins
It makes me see colours
And please don’t say it’s all there in black and white

I dreamt of you last night, it was the inspiration for these words
I was travelling to you, but you didn’t know it
Am I doing it right now?
There were cafĂ©’s with roses at their doors
And pine trees along the road
But I didn’t know where to get off
I finally found you and you had aged, you had grown grey
You even had a beard
You made me coffee and I looked around
You had goldfish and you had a pug
This was you in middle age decay
I had lots of money and my family came and me picked me up
And they drove me away from you
I wonder, are you happy now?
Are you happy?
Happy with the weight you have lost
The age you have gained
The time that you have spent looking out at the harems of men
Stuck in the definition of suburbia
The knowledge you have for me
I wonder what it will take for you to give

I still love you. Listening to the birds doesn’t help
Would you still drive me to the sea?
Would you still sleep with me in Room 111?
While politicians drive around in cars unclean
And we make love while the wind blows those leaves

Will you be patient with me?
Or do I need to grow up
Do I just believe in the memory instead of us?
Or do I believe in you instead of myself?

We need windows to stare from together
Books on New York taxis and books on Africa
Books on Freedom and revolution
Books on fucking and love and days out in the hills
Looking at the ranges while a horse looks down as if it knows

Let’s not forget this is all in my head
Let’s not forget I fear what is in yours
Lovers are the trees by the sea
Forever fearing the day they fall in and are washed away
Parted forever and turned to driftwood
What are the chances they meet again?

Is there a need to forgive?
I think there is
So here I am asking for it, for yours
But what will happen then if you deny it, or give it?
When then, what next?
Time won’t stand still in our little snowstorm
Life will return with the light and the night
We will return to our days, to our thoughts
Respectfully, this is our lot, our heaven and hell
I know where you live, so if I love you why aren’t I there?
I know who you are, so if I love you, why don’t I honour this?
All I do is write you this distorted view, this poem
All I do is think and dream of you making no real connection
While you look from that window and create a life of silver and gold
Etching your way through that southern city
I’m a match that has sparked and flamed and then grown cold
Did you ever think I would fit in with your label?
Were you ever ready for love? Ever ready for literature?
Were you prepared for god to spy on you distracted on those steps?
We were miracles, we were called, and we were sent high into the heavens
Yet now I watch as someone is digging a deep hole for our past to lie in
And our grief and our joy are ready to make peace
I can hear the cymbals chime; I can hear the engines turn
I can hear the cranes turn and extend the sky a little further
Where did that train go? Where did you live?
Tiles, and fences and brochures to thumb
I can’t imagine what insipid name that street had
You sold that house and moved away, and suburbia seemed to sigh
Did you praise god, were you a little sad, why did you leave?
I didn’t, I was, I cannot say
We never went to the river
We never went through the air
I asked you to run away with me to Africa, to Botswana
You were so sensible, so sure, so grown up
My sighing is not a sign of hurt, nor is it a sign of desertion
If you feel everything is lost, or even a little our of focus
Pretend I never stood there, out side of that Safeway-
Yes I do remember the first moment we met
I have recalled it since starting this ode to love won and lost and gained and faded
If you feel I have done you wrong
Change your past
Ignore my face, and blur my stride
Find a large church with those beautiful stained glass windows
Ask the priest or whoever to wipe me from your past, to cleanse me from your soul
Just remember I will be writing words like these for a while
You will be hidden in the cave behind my ribcage
You will be saved on my hard drive, your name associated with so much
Your name stuck on the same lines as Love and God and Sex and Regret

So while I walk the streets, trying to leave this town
Looking for the small door in the wall
Ripping the ivy from the brick, chipping the stone from the mortar
And you are lying in your bed late at night
Hearing the Plovers fly over ghostly swings
Thinking of ways to get off the stairwell that leads you further up the tower
That very real tower, with the bells, and the flags
Just know that I can let you out, I will help you escape
As I know that you can help me, I know you can pull this wall down
But if not, I always have Alexander and Syria and Babylon
And you always have your silver and gold companies

The truth of us, oh it makes me smile, it almost makes me laugh
Is that we are naught but a tragedy- a fine one at that
We have never said, it’s over, nor have we said let’s start
There are no technicalities, nor are there rules
We have both been left heart broken, left full of so much love
We could meet tomorrow and live together until the gods are at war
We may never see each other again and the snow would still fall
Yet I think, that we will, if only for a moment
Our lives seem to be chasing one another, like the spring after the summer
And I know I will see your dark eyes again,
I will walk into your shadow once more
For our velvet curtained finale has yet to be played
Our encore has yet to be heard by the plovers, by the clouds and the horse
And the angels have yet to see what will become of us
So please! Meet me on the second night of the war of the gods
In our old room, room 111
And we will make love, and I will embrace you
While the T.V. hums and the cymbals chime







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?