Another Song For Another Hotel



I'm sleeping in another hotel
You get used to them
Each room is a new wave
The same as the last
One may sweep me away
I may have been swept away
Had it not been for the bars on the windows
Each hotel lobby
Has a concrete pavement
Just outside its doors
And I walk down each one
Searching for the feeling
Listening for that hammond organ
Feeling for that embrace
Taxis, beers, and Chinese restaurants
Watch vendors, fortune tellers, beggars and buskers
And life shoots from me
Into the evening, into the pollution
And I breathe in the fumes of blood
I breathe in the peak of paradise
Each city, each town, each roadside Bethlehem
With their beds made for companionable men
Their rooms priced for both the poor and the rich
Naked in the showers
With their sanitised towels
Their soaps and hanging thoughts of previous occupants
Bibles and ashtrays
Replaced with multi-channel television
And nut free candy
At night all the light seems to drift in
Like mist from an old horror movie
I can move the curtain
I can walk out side
I can seek my revenge
I can try and quote poetry to my own embrace
Ko Un or Yun Seon-do
Sijo is a good companion for the chaste
But then so is lust and loneliness
I roll over and listen to the cars
Then I think of home
And how I am glad I am in this hotel
Thinking of Sijo and lust
With the heavy cars shaking past like insects shedding skin




Comments

  1. Really evocative of the complex of loneliness and lust inherent in our lives. Took me back....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?