Untie The Clouds



I am the chief of the elements
It's a small world
I no longer know where I have been
What flowers I have smelt along the way
I have known love more intense
Never a laziness in regard
I will sit on this hotel bed
Looking out into the universal space
Trying hard to hear the birds as they fly by
It is rare that I am so alone
And I check my phone for messages
Check my technology for god
Seeing if I still really care
If waking up to a room full of people
Beats waking up alone
The machines all strum together
Leaving nothing for me to do
I will give up this season, this hemisphere
I will give up this faded love
And track back to when I was diseased
And whispering an intense love
When I knew so much in ignorance
Now forgotten with education and stagnation
I want to swim out to the breakers
Swim out to my questions
That all got washed to sea
I sit here on the hotel bed, thinking of the indigenous
What was stolen, returned, given and taken again
I think of the poems and publishers and politicians
Not excluding publicans
And I take my pants off
I take my shirt off, trying to think of my great-grandmother's name
I could stay here forever
Sever all ties, give up the ghost, and change my name to Hank
I could leave right now
Walk down the cold street in my socks and underwear
Until I was taken to the police station
Wrapped in a blanket and offered hot cocoa
I could follow the plan and sulk
Or just swim out to sea
What if I had of stayed in Africa?
What if I had of said 'Te amo' to the king without a crown?
Gone to Seoul and looked for the dead poet's ghost
I could have gone to the temple and prayed
I could have gone to London
I lay on the hotel bed and listen for Byron's ghost
All I hear are cars and lovers
This is the year of the helpless mist
The cloud of god that is bound to his bed



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?