The Friends You Love

You are drained
So come sit down
Tell me about your day
Tell me of the friends you love
The friends who use you
For beer and cigarettes
But you keep ‘em around
For their talk and their laughs
And some of them you love
Some of them you would do anything for
Even if they say things that make you cringe
Things that you would never say
You know they are the water
That puts out the fire
That fuels the hell within
And when those friends get too much
When the beer and the drugs
Become a thorn in your milk white skin
Come home to me
And tell me what a drag they are
With a symphonic voice
And Cohen on the stereo
I will cook a home made soup
While you ride the wave of vexation
And i can turn the record over
And tell you all about
The story behind the songs of Cohen
Or Joni, Neil or the Band
And how The 60’s wouldn’t have happened
Without Canada
And I will wait for your look
That wonderment
That you won’t give to those friends
Who use you
And sing songs from the FM radio
You are the battery
And I know I am the charger
You are those friends to me
But friendship is precious
You will leave me for them again
But when you return
The soup will be hot
And Cohen will be croonin’
Come sit down
And tell me of the friends you love



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Daff-Dilly

Blind Me And Guide Me

Whose Language Will I Speak?